Monday, December 8, 2008

Feker to Rihana: kind of random

I'm in a writing mood, that's the only reason I decided to do this. Please don't be surprised if I run out of ideas and click on 'publish post'! So I was thinking about your voyage to the motherland, not the christmas one but the permanent one. And it got me thinking about a lot of things. It made me realize one thing above all. Mitisha, there is a great feeling about being a student, especially a student in a college like Mount Holyoke. When I was there, I had the luxury to put people outside our little bubble under a microscope and analyze them all I wanted. I made judgements, I sympathized, judged some more and in some cases, I learned. All those habeshas in Boston, DC, LA, Atlanta were mine to scoff at or admire. Seleda provided that outlet, a chance to glimpse at the life of yound, professional Ethiopians. Frankly, I loved my bubble even when I swore at How Sadly. I left college and lo and behold, I found myself under that same microscope, and I no longer had the luxury to do the examining. I was - say it - tera zega. I remember the deep dissapointment, bordering on despair, I felt the day my boss told me one of my job descriptions would be to order food and wine for cocktails we would be hosting. I said to myself, 'bekit kuch yiluachiual indih new'. So I went home and blurted it all out to Bele (he was here then) and even as I said the words out loud, I was embarassed by my silliness. So I sucked it up and last week I realized how rewarding work could be. Nothing special, I helped someone with a paper to be published soon. I actually used my brain for that one! But aleme, all this to say that lijinet is beautiful and sometimes we really shouldn't be so hard on oursleves. Sometimes the way I makabed things you would think the world (or atleast Ethiopia) would collapse if I didn't do this thing at such and such time. Sometimes, it's perfectly fine to stop and smell the flowers (or buna in my case). Another thing as well, both what Vinnie said and Henock repeatedly stresses, is the value in educating ourselves. Mitiye, if we believe in ourselves enough to KNOW we will be big shots one day, we have to know what we're going to preach about right? So all we can do at the moment is invest in oursleves, and leave the rest to God and fate (the latter, however strongly we believe we have control over, I'm still a firm believer of ye 40 qen idil).

Luv ya ;)

No comments: