Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From Feker to Rihana- Oct 18, 2007

Mitiye hode,

Endet neshilign yagere lij? I was laughing when I read
your last email, not so much with the content but
because it felt like you were right here and we were
conversing face to face. I was saying 'ichi chemlaka'
and then you go on with your 'no no no's. LOL ay
anchi. inema yebekashign eko when u strode into Swiss
cafe and asked, ever so innocently,' mitiye indene
arif yehone sew manin takialesh?' woufffffffffff
mitisha ... ineza obnoxious yehonu commentochish
betaaaaaaam nafkewignal! Bicha ... back to kum neger
... looks like you're havin fun with da girls ... arif
new betam mitiye and yeah beguadegnama inja someone up
there loovvvvvvves you! (irasen samok malet new.) And
mititsha i totally understand you on the 'challenging'
part of friendship. Did I tell you I was taking an
econ class at Umass? Well, its on development of post
independent Africa and mitisha beka I'm learning
sooooooooooo much. The prof. is absolutely amazin.
bicha that was not my point ... do you remember
Mich She's from Zimbabwe and nafkote used to
tell us that she was destegna? nways bicha i'm takin
the class with her and mitisha she's the new Sasa in
my life. I'll say one thing about her ... there's just
never a dull moment. She's very opinionated which I
love. You know how we never interacted with the
'A' here ... i mean don't get me wrong mitisha
i think they're all amazing ... betam tiru yehonu
lijoch (esp. the Ghanaians) gin with her its like beka
'in your face' kind of thing. She's very smart and
informed ina mitisha beka tiru friendoch honenal
ilishalew.
Boy ... have I got some juicy campus news for you!
Well roughly this is how it goes. In last week's
newspaper Cindy Pincus wrote an article on how
cultural orgs on campus are more concerned with
cultural events and good, Blanchard parties than
activism. Now, while the tone it was written in was
kind of offensive, I felt that the girl had a point
especially when you hear about what's going on at other
campuses. The whole school went crazy, especially
MHAACASA and APAU and they had a meeting for 'colored'
students yesterday at Hooker. (that word annoys me
beyond words by the way. like white isn't a color or
something ... ) bicha I went to the meeting and some
people mitiye are beka min libelish SMART and eloquent
and articulate. I was soooooooo proud of SOME of our
students yesterday. Noticed the SOME yet ... yeah. Of
course there were some embarrassing people who had to
make it a point to 'mashemakek' us as well. Sol,
our MHAACASA co-chair got up and said 'I am very
different from everybody here ... I come from a very
affluent background (yeah!) ... and activism for me is
when I (notice here she used the word I when talkin
about MHACASA money)give $2000 to clothe kids in
Africa. Ina beka mitiye pointuam saygebagn beka
lijitua dirom atimegnim neber now I know why.
Darling ... you know with the reactions of the
students this week what I've realized is I'm like a
fish out of water in Mount Holyoke. I never understand
it when people take things like this personally and I
feel like we, as Habeshas, and especially because
we've been so conditioned as to think so highly of
ourselves, will never really understand what they go
through. For them its a daily struggle where they have
to prove themselves worthy of a place in their own
homes. Its sad mitiye ... so very sad.
I've been very busy ... all my professors decided
this week should be midterms including a presentation
I have on Saturday for my summer research. Gin mitisha
i'm loving the busy life ... its like being a senior
gives you that extra push to push yourself to the
limit. I've also been reading random stuff, Paulo
Coelho's books, I'm currently reading "things fall
apart" minamin. But more than that ... a lot of
thinking. Mitisha its weird ... I don't remember a
time where I've spent reflecting so much in my life. I
guess its about time ... I think about now, the future
and what it holds. I want it all to fit together but
of course we can never know what life has in store for
us. I wake up and look out through my window (mitiye
its beautiful at the moment with the leaves changing
color) and wonder min yahil Egzihabher biwedegn new
ilalew. Silly things ... like I'm taking 'History of
French Cinema' and mitisha ... GOD! Hollywood
kelidobinal does not do justice. That class has been
... amazing. Sitimechi I shall force you to seat
through three hours of "Les Enfants du Paradis"
(Children of Paradise). Bicha mitiye ... I don't know
where I'm going with this ... all I know is, for now,
life is full of those beautiful, endless possibilities
just waiting to embrace me. Hopefully, I'll have the
courage to 'take the road less traveled by' and hope
it makes a difference.

Ewedishalew.
I await your reply begugut.

No comments: