Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From Feker to Rihana - Sept 11, 2007

Darling,

Endet neshilign? I read your last email with a heavy
heart. GOD mitisha ... the doorman ... it was like I
was right there listening to his cries of shame and
indignation. Before I congratulate you on your writing
skills I just wanna say this ...

Mediocre ... what a beautiful word and yet such a
poisonous one. Mitiye ... I am in full agreement on
what you said about us ... human beings. Since the day
we're born we're encouraged to follow the safe paths
... whether its through careers or your personal life.
No one ever encourages you to be your 'full self'. Its
almost like stepping out is taboo. Mitiye ... do you
remember what you said in your first email? You said
that you now realize that your life should not so much
revolve around yourself anymore. On the contrary, I
feel like mine should. For as long as I can remember
I've always had someone to take the blame, to cover
for me or just plain take care of me. Even being away
from home for the last three years has not really
altered that mindset of mine. I feel like I've done
what is expected of me and so no need to stress after
this. Oh how wrong I was. I don't know what this
summer has done to me but one thing I realize is there
is not one thing more wonderful than independence. And
not just in terms of being away from home but being
mentally ready to say 'I can take care of myself'.

Mitiye ... I highly recommend for you to read
'Veronica Decided to Die' if you haven't done so in
the past. Its ... I really have no words for it. It
mirrors the exact sentiments you talked about in your
email last time. How is it that as human beings we
accept to become 'average'? But like you said, its
something you could SO EASILY fall into. After all ...
its safe isn't it? But oh! how lucky we are that we
even realize this. One author said that the people who
suffer most are those who don't know what they want.
We should constantly fight that state of oblivion
where you exist just because the next person ...
exists.

Darling enough of my philosophies. Today, as you can
imagine, is a pretty depressing day. I can't stop
thinking how much fun everyone is having back home.
Ine P are having a party tonight ... for the eve
... and guess what? For the first time since I came
here I seriously couldn't care less about Habesha
gatherings. So I politely declined and will spending
my evening pouring through mountains of readings for
tomorrow's class. Beterefe Mitiye, I gotta go to a
meeting now ... bekirbu besefiw inaweralen. Eskezaw
... HAPPY MILLENIUM darlin. Take care of you.

wedishalew.

No comments: