Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From Rihana to Feker - Sep 3, 2007

Endemen Alesh,
>
> Hey Mitisha, how's it going? Hopefully you're
> enjoying your last days in Addis. Especially with
> E... endet new benatesh? Bey selamtayen beselam
> adreshelegn. I better make this email worthwhile
> since i'm emailing you from an internet cafe and not
> from school. Sweet ol AUC's library apparently closes
> at 5pm. Believe it or not i still have not
> registered for classes. There is only one woman (a
> nasty one at that) who is responsible for
> registration. Tamgnalesh after sitting at her office
> for around four hours. She refused to see anyone
> knowing i was the only one left for her to see.
> Mechem men adergalew, i told myself Allah tegesten
> lifetenegn new beye...here i am at an internet cafe
> on the way home emailing you. Cairo, efficiency? -
> None existent.
> Aside from this mitisha, i'm in love with the
> city. It's literally the African or the Arab version
> of NYC. It's hectic, loud, crazy...it's beautiful.
> The school is right at the heart of the city so most
> of the major things are at a walking distance and
> everything is pretty cheap, which isn't good all the
> time, since i seem to be spending all my money at a
> speed which you would definitely not approve of.
> Allah ale becha.
> I have been here for how long now? A week? i'm
> already dark as hell. The temp is in the 90s. It's
> crazy...oh did i tell you, we went to the Red Sea.
> The beach was beautiful; i'll make sure i put some
> pics up on facebook. Betay gen i was amazed at
> myself. When we went there, believe it or not i felt
> like I had lived in a place like Cali or hawai all my
> life. I was not amazed or did not go like “Oh my God!”
> and all that ferenj stuff. It did not go without
> making me think "i'm 22 and nothing really fascinates
> me that much"???????? I thought of it a lot gen i'll
> tell you someday at MHC when i'm deep in my
> "besots". I did finally manage to find an answer for
> it. but like i said Mount Holyoke enegenagn.
> As crazy as this city is, i'm trying to get all the
> craziness out of me. I've got a lot of plans for
> myself. But for the first time in my life i'm
> realizing that just being caught up in "myself"
> isn't a very good thing. But also, i honestly feel
> like it will be one of the most amazing experiences
> of my life, and insha allah...i'm hoping it will be
> for the better.
> Betam yemigerm neger tawkiyalesh? ( i'm telling
> you this cuz i know you won't judge me and also that
> you might at least come close to understanding me,
> not that i understand myself the least bit) but...
> yaw i'm sure right now since i've only been here a
> week i obviously don't miss Addisaba. But I haven't
> been thinking about E, A or any of the people i somehow found
> myself all caught up with. Mitisha yemeren eko new,
> leb yalegn aymeslegnim. Ya allah, men teshalegn? Gen
> believe it or not kelal temhert astemerogn
> alalefem...oh God i better stop saying this cuz
> there is something i want you to do for me..and if i
> say much concerning this matter...echi lej abedech
> teyegnalesh...so back to Cairo.
> I've met a few Egyptians, definitely people i can hang
> out with. I am not a big fan of all the AUCians here. Besefiw lela ken
> aweraleshalew...
> Weyne mitisha mechem endaderekush yegebagnal, but
> men hone meselesh i came across this definition of a
> mediocre person somewhere -
>
> A mediocre person is: indifferent, ordinary,
> common place, average, medium, third rate, inferior,
> poor. ( i think it was in a course syllabus somewhere
> - guess who's not taking this class! )
>
> Yemigermew gen... kuch beye eyayehut...aygermem i
> felt like at the end of the day it's something i've
> been running away from or will live my life running
> away from, but at the same time something so easy to
> be, so easy to fall into, even maybe something that
> drags you into itself constantly and something that
> we constantly have to fight if we do not want to be
> one.
> Note to self: Ya allah! DON'T BE ONE!!!
>
> Anchi bey pray for me eshi, hopefully i won't
> spend my time partying and going wild, as i can see
> it's something very easy to do. Hopefully by
> the time i settle in into our apartment i'll have a
> better head on my shoulder…ahun agzer ale beche
> techewalew... Lezim leziam...i'm ecstatic to be here,
> you have no idea. and i'm sooo happy to be away from
> the Addis drama. Mechem yemayalf yelem.
>
> beka mitisha lezare kaderekush yebekashal... i'll
> give you my number bey once you're in the states
> yemidewel feligi, I'll require a minimum of 5
> dollars/ 2 weeks...yemer kasfelege
> ekesalew...chemlaka you better alebelezia ke cairo
> and neger bametalesh....nafi endet nat zegachegn
> eko...benatesh negerilegn....
>
>
> weyne kategebe yelew Arab thinks i've lost my mind
> typing all of this...beka email me back soon and
> i'll talk to you
>
> anch gudit do you know i left Addis without
> meeting Ato masresha?

No comments: