Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From Rihana to Feker, Oct 2007

> ( if you haven't opened facebook yet, check that> first before reading this)> > > >

Oh Mitisha! i have tears in my eyes as i'm writing> you this. Good tears. I'm really even not sure why.> Is it our beautiful naivety that I love or is it> that we understand one another so well and approve> of that naivety? God there is so much i want to say> i don't know where to start or where to finish, i'll> forget a lot in the process, but let me try...> I laughed when i read about resuming our> philosophies ( i said the same thing in my fb email,> thinking of all our conversations :).> Mitisha there is nothing better in life than> believing in your abilities to achieve our dreams> and life is not worth living unless it's one you've> dreamt of for so long. i do understand "reality"> forces us to get into situations we may not like,> but it's something we have to fight constantly. Miti> we were not created this way, with the hearts and> brains which we posses for no reason. It's not even> about being smart, it's having the heart to understand> who we are and not being afraid to be that self. > Mitisha i finally read the alchemist, i'm thinking> you've already read it ( if you haven't make sure> you do) It talks about destinies, and questions our> strength to go after it. It talks about how> everything in the universe is there to help you in> anyway, as long as you are out there ready to go> after your destiny and you're not afraid to do so. > Mitisha being in Cairo at this moment in my life> might be one of the most beautiful gifts that allah> has given me. Everyday i somehow learn something> new, about myslef, about others, and i'm enjoying> every moment of it. It's amazing how i spend my> days (even though surprisingly enough most of my> nights are spend out in the city.) I go to classes, i> read, and i have my affairs with novels. It's> actually funny how i keep my class readings separate> from my novels thinking, i'm cheating on econ or> politics with the characters in my books. I"m> sitting in my bed now (i have a huge room by the> way) and emailing you this and as i do, i'm> smiling...> I'm glad you are applying for the IB jobs. Like> you said at least you'll know that you tried. Even> if you do work there i think it's ok. We are young> and maybe a little bit too ambitious, but whatever> we get in to, as long as we have the heart for it,> it's only going to lead us to where we want to end> up. It depends on how bad we want it. That's it. > Mitisha, i'm talking to a lot of people here and> will do so also back home, so that i can be able to> get an internship somewhere here in Africa.> Possibly in Cairo or Addis but i think i'll prefer> somewhere else. I'm doing a lot of searching about> UN offices, and i'm actually finding out even if the> UN may be ineffective on bigger issues, such as say> Darfur, they do make a lot of difference in places> where they are directly interacting with the people.> I met a few people working here in Cairo and i think> it might be something i'll be interested in, or at> least something i'll definitely want to try.> I'm reading this book by a Nigerian author - Half> of a yellow sun - and there is this character in the> book called Odenigbo. He a professor at a Nigerian> university and he is living with a beautiful women> who is back from England after finishing her> masters. His passion for Africa, his ideas! Oh> mitisha you'll fall in love with him. It looks like> it's the same reason the lady fell in love with him> to. He's a revolutionary. He has dinner parties once> a week at his house for a group with African> professors, giving them the opportunity to have> their own "black interaction". It takes place in the> 60s so it was in a time of very heated colonialism> agendas. I laughed realizing how much i was in love> with him and more realizing how much you'd be envious> of his relationship with Olanna. He is actually not> one of the very major characters, there are> definitely others depicted as more important, and who> actually are, but these two... you'll love… anyhoo, read it when> you have some time to sacrifice. It will be worth all> your time. Oh yeah so...he's not handsome at all,> this character, oh darling how much that doesn't> matter...> > i can't believe E is comming. What state is he> going to be in? What are the chances, seriously! i> was really blown away. I won't say much, but i> honestly can't wait to see what happens.> > It really is sad that i agree with what you say> about relationships. I do fear that i won't be able> to fall in love, that i won't have my dream of> waking up one morning and saying “ Wow i can't belive> he's with me.” And the sad part is how i am able to> get along with any man. I do believe i can live with> anyone fairly content. But never fully. I don't know> why i'm unable to be impressed, why i'm not blown> away by the thing he says or does. I sometimes think> that it's not because i haven't met anyone like> that, it's just that i don't even ... i don't know.> i honeslty don't think i can open up to anyone and> that just makes me make up a million reasons not to> want that person...I guess we shall live, and we> shall see... right now i'm just glad i don't have> these things in my head. I'm enjoying the more> important things in life. > > Mitisha, i'm surer than ever that i will not> live in the states. Life is too short to be wasted> like that. There is so much we can do in the world,> in our homeland. Living the life of just another habesha in> the US of A... it's just not ... it's not life. I do> understand that it might give us security, but ...Oh> mitisha NO No NO... It's just not right...> > Mitisha, you know the Ethiopians i was telling you> about...Take Aster for instance, i met her in my> friends apartment by the elevator. She told me she> was working for this old British women who works at> AUC and also with refugees. Aster comes in everyday> to this women's house to clean and this women, who i'm guessing is in her 70s. Mitisha> she has been in Cairo, i think for the past 6 years> and she is much older than we are. She is still in> the hope of getting a visa to leave this place. You> know what breaks my heart? It's not that Aster (> actually she works under good conditions) and women> like her, work really hard under horrible> conditions, or that they work too many hours for> little pay, or even that they are away from home.> what breaks my heart is that, they are in constant> hope that one of these day's they'll be called from> the embassy to be granted their visa out of this> life style. The weeks pass into months and the> months into years. I can't imagine> if they'll ever settle... mitisha do you think they> realize even once they leave to their dream land> that they will not settle? that it will be the same> thing only in a different continent. We spend our> lives trying to find a false security believing that> once we have that everything, things will be alright...> nuro. This is why i believe Allah exists. There is a> much bigger thing out there who can make sense of it> all. We were just not given the ability to> comprehend it all.> > Darlin i think i should stop now, El has been> waiting for me to read me a story of a cute cat. So> i will forget what i've been writing about and go> enjoy the life of a cat who apparently adds joy to> the life of my roommate, who by the way was blessed> with a beautiful heart. So i'll leave you now,> without saying half of what i wanted to say and go> share the joy of a life of cat. Wedeshalew>

No comments: