Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From Feker to Rihana - Oct 2007

Hode,

Endet aleshilign? I just started writing this cuz I
guess I'm in a confessional mood. How's yourself? Is
the cramming for the exams killin u? Ayzon ayzon ...
just remember next week will be history come next
weekend. lol ... hope u understood that. Mitisha,
isn't it a wonder how we human beings are most likely
to settle for average than go that extra mile to
realize our dreams? I don't know who it was but
someone once said that 'our greatest fear lies in
success than in failure'. And like you said, its
soooooooooooooo easy to end up 'mediocre', safe. As I
fast forward my life, the battle looks more fierce
than ever. I met a guy yesterday (we had gone out with
Mich and friends) and he told me he worked at
Goldman and Sachs (major consulting company). And I
looked at him and mitisha ... I couldn't help but see
a small part of a future me in him. He's successful,
drives a really nice care minamin, comfortable with
the sweet luxury money affords. No doubt I wanna have
ALL that, I just hope it won't be ALL that I'll show
for my life. Mitiye, this middle-eastern class, I find
myself zoning out in the middle of a lecture, because
you see how senseless the deaths are and how
sooooooooooo vulnerable we all are. No tomorrow is
ever guaranteed and yet no human being heeds the
advice 'live each day to the fullest'. Bicha I don't
know ...

Mitishaye, I can't say I'm surprised you liked your
class with the passionate, marxist professor. I'm
assuming she's just that ... an ardent marxist? Well
mitisha, there's something about that guy that just
fires up people. Hashmi told us, and you could
actually extend on this, Nasser's picture is found in
weird places like small coffee shops and stuff all
over Egypt. This is not true for any other Egyptian
leader, he said. And I couldn't help but remember how
M, with all his share of massacres in the
country, still holds a special part in our parents
generations' hearts. There's something about the idea,
Marxism I mean, that just sends shivers down your
spine. Mitisha, if you can you should definitely make
it a point to read one of his works.

I loved how you brought a rational twist to the purple
dinosaur ... that's why i love ya eko! You're right
mitisha, there is sense in growing up English fluent
... after all like you said all the offshore jobs are
going to countries like India where pretty much
English is a mother tongue. But alongside that, I
think it would be wonderful to instill a sense of
Ethiopiawinet in our children’s generation. I think,
actually, its absolutely necessary with our rapidly
globalizing world, lest we lose our identities to the
rappers of west side and our kids lose any inkling of
Ethiopian culture they might have had.

Darlin, since we're on the subject of bits and pieces
of jotted down memoirs, lemme share one with you ...

Who ever thought you would spend so much time
philosophizing about your existence in this world? Of
course I know that right now its the circumstances
that are allowing us to do so ... going to school
where the majority of the time you're REQUIRED to
think ... And then soon it will be the beginning of a
new life ... One where I hope I won't end up being
just another 'average' employee who goes to work from
9 to 5, cooks dinner, eats it in front of the T.V and
goes to bed at 9 so as to get 8 or 9 hours of sleep. I
want to make a difference in the world. I want to find
something I am passionate about above all else. I want
to live EACH DAY to the fullest, never taking tomorrow
for granted...

Mitiye ... lemme now take my leave ... of course there
is tons of work to do i've become an expert at
procrastinating ... you're definitely not alone in that
boat. good luck with ur exams ... the best part about
them is that they'll, wededum telum, be over.
wedishalew darlin!

hear from you soon,
yanchiw mingizem.

P.S. - anchi kita ... of course i wasn't insinuating
What you thought about N ... yiy
mitisha you're slow yemir ... i asked if there was
another N ... duh ... i thought ___ name was
N ... lemainignawim ... selamtayen
adrishilign ... hehe ... lub you!

No comments: